Sunday 27 December 2015

FOR ASGAAAAARD!!!!!

Hello everyone!!!!  Hope you are all doing well!!  So, if you haven't already guess, one of my favorite superheros is Thor.  Son of Odin, All-Father of Asgard, Thor is incredibly strong and noble, and while wielding Mjolnir will mess you up with some rather electrifying force.  Huehuehue.  All terrible puns aside, he is an all around badass.

This little project started off as a way for me to get back into Zbrush, following a tutorial that was incredibly helpful.  But as I went along, I decided to veer of and make this little experiment into my own thing.  As such, I learned a ton about what exactly Zbrush is capable of doing, and its incredible!!  Very, very flexible, though one can get lost in all the bells and whistles.



 The above image is the result of my little experiment.  Sculpted and colored in Zbrush, I decided that I wanted to present my work in a bit more of an exciting way than usual.  I quickly painted up a background, including the lightning bolt, not only to see what can be done from crossing mediums, but just to have fun really.

As far as the design, I referenced a bit of Norse symbolism, while learning a bit in the process.  The triangle like symbol on the piece that holds Thor's cape is apparently the Norse symbol for "Heavenly Power".  I thought it was interesting when I found that out and thought it was be a neat idea to incorporate it into the design.  However, to be honest, the inscription in the hammer has no particular meaning, just something I thought would be another neat addition, without me putting much thought behind it.




But let me not stray too far away from the point of this project, which was, initially, to refresh and practice my sculpting skills with Zbrush.  There are many, and I mean many things that I don't like about this sculpt.  Hell, before I even started painting it I noticed a fair bit of things that I would have changed and made better.  For example, the hair is a complete mess.  I could have definitely taken more time to flesh.  

Also, for a sculpt with a total of about 25 million polygons, the level of detail is lackluster.  From the form and definition of the muscles, to the almost Flintstone like robe, more time in these areas would have greatly benefited the overall result of the final piece.



All in all this was a great and exciting project!!  There wasn't a single step of the way that I wasn't excited for where else I could take this piece.  And the wealth of knowledge that I learned along the way is beyond invaluable.  Time to take all this juicy knowledge and excitement and apply it to something else!!  I already got some great ideas bubbling up!!  Thank you very much for the read, and hope you enjoyed it!!  Much love :3  

No comments:

Post a Comment